Grange in line for promotion

27 May 2012


Grange suddenly found their form and stormed into today`s promotion play-offs in the European Club Champions Challenge in Zagreb with a convincing 5-1 victory over Gibraltar side Eagles in the final pool match.

It took the Edinburgh side only ten minutes to take the lead, Cammie Fraser`s reverse stick shot was brilliantly tipped past the goalkeeper by 15-year-old Fettes schoolboy Hamish Imrie.   Grange continued to dominate proceedings and in 23 minutes went two up, under 21 internationalist Adam Walker worked his way along the base-line, cut the ball back to Matt Connor who promptly smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Although the Eagles pulled one back early in the second half, Grange remained undaunted and quickly restored their two goal lead, at a penalty corner Fraser Sands` shot was deflected home by the ever-alert Cammie Fraser.   The result was finally sealed at another set piece, Walker won the award and Sands launched his drag flick past the goalkeeper for 4-1.   Grange found the net again with two minutes left, Gary Cameron`s initial shot was saved by the keeper, the ball broke to Duncan Riddell at the top of the circle and his reverse stick shot flew into the bottom of the net.

"We started brightly and put the Eagles under a lot of pressure, we thoroughly deserved our 5-1 win in a contest that we dominated from beginning to end," said Colin Clarke, Grange`s coach.

In the women`s European Club Champions Challenge in Switzerland VWS Dundee Wanderers are now fighting to stave off relegation after losing 3-1 to Italian champions Amiscora in the final pool match.  The Italians were a goal up at the interval through an open play strike.

There was a chink of hope five minutes into the second half, the Taysiders were awarded a penalty corner and Sam Sangster dispatched the ball high into the Italian net for the equaliser.   Amiscora retaliated with a set piece strike to take a 2-1 lead.  Wanderers ran out of luck, Louise Sheriffs had the ball in the net for the Dundonians but the umpire had already blown for a penalty corner which came to nothing.

The tie was finally lost when Amiscora scored a third with five minutes remaining, leaving Wanderers needing to wi


I want to...

I want information on...

I am a...