Big Pro League win for GB women in USA
A superb 14-minute spell saw Great Britain women earn their first win in the FIH Pro League away to the USA. Scotland’s Amy Costello, Sarah Robertson and Nicki Cochrane all featured in the match.
Making her 50th Great Britain appearance, Lily Owsley was instrumental as she scored two and helped create the other to enable GB to come from behind and take all three points at Spooky Nook.
There were a number of milestones, with Emily Defroand scoring her first international goal, while birthday girl Giselle Ansley was named captain for the first time.
Having trailed to Mackenzie Allessie’s 22nd minute penalty corner, Mark Hager’s side dug deep to take the win, and with 26 circle entries to USA’s 16, it proved to be a dominant display, particularly in the second half.
Head coach Mark Hager added, “It’s good to get our first win of the FIH Pro League under our belts.
“In the first quarter it took us a while to adjust to the speed and tempo of international hockey again after a five-week break, so then it was very pleasing to come back after being 1-0 down.
“After half time the players established a structure to create more opportunities against a resilient USA defence, which allowed our forwards to generate good quality circle work.
“I was pleased to see Lily Owsley score two quality goals and Emily D scoring her first goal for GB. I was also happy with a solid defensive performance overall, to only concede one goal following four penalty corners.
“Now a new challenger awaits us in Argentina, going to the heat against a strong performing team, we’re looking forward to it.”
Starting XI: Heesh, Ansley (c), Unsworth, Toman, Balsdon, Robertson, Jones, Costello, Owsley, Martin, Rayer
Subs used: Cochrane (GK), Petty, Howard, Defroand, Hunter, Evans, Neal
Next up for Great Britain is a double header as both the women’s and men’s teams take on Argentina this coming Saturday night at 10pm and 7:30pm respectively, live on BT Sport.
Scotland women will play at EuroHockey Championship II in Glasgow this summer – more info HERE
- Scotland U21 Women beat Austria to qualify for next stage in Alanya
- Scotland women beat Ireland in Stormont as Euros in Glasgow approach
- Scotland U21 men strike five to beat Russia in U21 Euros match two
- Excellent win for Scotland U21 women against Czech Republic
- Late goal gives Ireland victory over Scotland women in Stormont
- Scotland U21 men score six to beat Portugal in Euros opener
- Scotland U21 Women share points with Wales in U21 Euros opening match
- Scotland women lose to World Cup silver medallists Ireland in Stormont
- Scotland men defeated by Austria in Vienna
- Last minute defeat for Scotland men in Austria