Dates for Academy Series announced
Scottish Hockey’s performance team has announced the dates and times for the inaugural Academy Series. The series is part of ongoing enhancements to the talent pathway as confirmed earlier in the year.
Unlike its older inter-city siblings the Super Series and Development Series, where all games are played at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre, the Academy Series will be staged at different venues around the country over the weekend of competition from Friday 22nd until Friday 24th November.
The Academy Series is designed to provide another layer of competition between inter-district and international competition for the best 50-60 young hockey athletes eighteen and under in both genders. This will give the best youth hockey players in Scotland the opportunity to stake a claim for a place in our national under 18 programmes and under 21 programmes, who both have European A Division Competitions next summer.
Scottish Hockey’s Head of Performance Andy Tennant said, “This is another positive step in terms of providing opportunities for domestic best-v-best competition, through our new inter-city hockey formats. We believe this gives the right number of athletes the right challenge – and affords them the opportunity to showcase their skills and make a strong case for international programme selection through meaningful on-field performances.”
The teams are due to be announced soon with selections being finalised following regionalised training sessions this weekend.
The series matches, venues and times are as follows –
|Friday 22/11/19||GHK, Glasgow||Girls Academy series||Glasgow Thunder v Edinburgh Lightning||1930|
|Friday 22/11/19||Clydesdale, Glasgow||Boys Academy series||Glasgow Thunder v Edinburgh Lightning||1930|
|Saturday 23/11/19||Uddingston*||Girls Academy series||Edinburgh Lightning v Dundee Devils||1230|
|Saturday 23/11/19||Uddingston*||Boys Academy series||Edinburgh Lightning v Dundee Devils||1430|
|Sunday 24/11/19||Dalnacraig, Dundee||Girls Academy series||Dundee Devils v Glasgow Thunder||1200|
|Sunday 24/11/19||Dalnacraig, Dundee||Boys Academy series||Dundee Devils v Glasgow Thunder||1400|
*Uddingston was chosen as the best international standard venue for Edinburgh “home” matches, due to lack of availability of water based facilities in Edinburgh on the chosen weekend.
- Goals and convincing performances in Women’s Indoor National League 1
- Men's Indoor National League 1 serves up big results
- Exciting weekend of Indoor National Leagues ahead with all to play for at the top.
- Great opening day to Women’s Indoor National League 1
- Men’s Indoor National League 1 gets off to a flying start
- Scotland women win Team of the Year at the Sunday Mail sportscotland Awards
- New National league 1 indoor season to get underway
- Scottish Hockey Celebrates Year of Success at Annual Awards
- Super Series falls victim to the weather
- Development Series 2019 squads announced