Final day defeat for Clydesdale Western in Vienna
CLYDESDALE WESTERN 2-8 GINTRA STREKTE UNI (LITHUANIA)
Clydesdale Western bowed out of the women`s indoor European Club Trophy in Vienna after going down 8-2 to Lithuanian champions Gintra Strekte Uni in the final relegation pool match.
The result means that newly crowned Scottish champions Dundee Wanderers will play in the third tier Challenge 1 level next year.
It took Gintra only three minutes to get their noses in front, Erlanda Nomeikaite scored from open play. Western were soon level with a strike by captain Francis Lonergan.
The Lithuanians stepped it up into a 3-1 lead through Samanta Jakovleva and a penalty corner conversion by Nomeikaite again.
Although Western`s Bronwyn Sheilds reduced the leeway Gintra reached the break 4-2 ahead through Rimante Gudeliauskyte.
Five minutes into the second half Gintra had moved on to a comfortable 6-2 lead with further strikes from Nomeikaite for her hat-trick and Toma Petrikaite.
Although Nomeikaite had an enforced rest in the sin bin the Lithuanians continued to add to their tally with further goals from Kotryna Kartanovic and Dovile Kukliene.
- Euro defeats for Clydesdale Western and Edinburgh Uni on final day of competition
- Mixed fortunes for Scots clubs in Europe
- Series wins for Scotland U16s and U18s boys’ and girls’ in Cardiff, while U21 women lose in Glasgow
- Excellent Scotland v Wales age group hockey on Day two
- Mixed fortunes for Clydesdale Western and Edinburgh University in Europe
- Five games and goals aplenty for Scotland age groups against Wales
- Edinburgh University and Clydesdale Western held to draws in Europe
- Baptism of fire for Grove Menzieshill in first EHL appearance
- Scotland u21 women to play Wales this weekend – squad announced
- Scotland Men’s O35s Masters squad announced