GB lose opener to Germany
Chris Grassick and Alan Forsyth both featured as Great Britain men were edged out by Germany in their three-match test series opener in Mannheim.
It was a welcome return for Grassick, back in action for GB after over a year out, while lethal finisher Forsyth led the line once again for GB.
Luke Taylor marked his first GB cap with a goal while Tom Carson and Barry Middleton were also on target.
However a brace from Dieter Linnekogel and strikes from Christopher Ruhr, Dan Luong Nguyen and Marco Miltkau saw Germany to a 5-3 win.
After the match Head coach Bobby Crutchley said: “After a long break with no match play, this is just what we needed. I was pleased with some aspects of the game and when we played with energy and intensity, we looked threatening in possession.
“This gives us an excellent platform on which to build for the rest of the week. I’m pleased for Luke Taylor, James Albery and Liam Ansell who all made their senior debuts tonight for Great Britain.”
Great Britain took the lead after ten minutes when Taylor converted from a penalty corner as he made his first appearance for GB, however Linnekogel levelled from a German penalty corner nine minutes later.
Middleton was on target to put GB back into the lead but Linnekogel was on hand again from a penalty corner to level the scores before half time.
On 38 minutes Carson put GB back into the lead again as he marked his return to competitive international hockey after his injury lay off.
However the hosts rallied to finish strongly to stage a late comeback. Firstly Nguyen put home a penalty corner before Ruhr and Miltkau field goals put Germany into a late 5-3 lead.
Great Britain XI: Harry Gibson (GK), Ollie Willars, Brendan Creed, Henry Weir, Harry Martin, Sam Ward, Phil Roper (C), Barry Middleton, Tom Carson, James Albery, Alan Forsyth
Subs (Used): George Pinner (C), Luke Taylor, Chris Grassick, David Goodfield, Liam Ansell, James Gall, Dan Kyriakides
- Scotland U18 Girls’ win EuroHockey Championship II in Rakovnik
- Final stages for GB EDP in Belgium
- Scotland U18 Girls reach EuroHockey Championship II Final
- Scotland U18 Girls top the pool with 6-0 win over Lithuania
- Scotland Under 18's Boys Squad announced for Euro's
- Scotland U18 girls beat Russia in second match of Euros
- Golden strikes for GB EDP men in 3-1 win while GB EDP women defeated by India
- Scotland U18 Girls' get off to a winning start in Rakovnik
- Watson on target in successful opening day for GB EDP
- Swanson, Watson and Brown selected for GB Women EDP 6-nations