Grange and Edinburgh University retain their leads at the top of National League 1

The impact of this weekend’s results are that Grange and Edinburgh University have moved closer to retaining their respective National League 1 titles with only three scheduled games to go in the calendar.

There seems no stopping Grange in their relentless bid to retain their National League 1 crown, the Edinburgh side retained their six point lead at the top following a 3-2 win over Edinburgh University.

The champions were two ahead at the interval, Alan Johnston from open play and a penalty corner conversion from Dan Coultas were on target.  The result was effectively sealed with another set piece strike by Coultas. The students pulled a couple back through Ben Pearson and Jack Jamieson – the result was a final ten minutes with Edinburgh pressing for an equaliser and Grange looking for their fourth, but there was no change to the scoreline.

Western Wildcats still remain in contention after a 6-0 win at Gordonians, but they are still six points behind. Western Wildcats were two goals to the good in the first half, Joe McConnell was the provider. In the second half Rob Harwood was on target with a hat-trick with Andrew McConnell getting the other.

Meanwhile, Grove Menzieshill kept in touch, albeit seven points adrift, with a 5-3 win at Hillhead. The home side twice took the lead through a double from Fraser Ward, both on the break, but it was the Taysiders who clawed their way into the lead with goals from Aidan McQuade, Gavin Tomlinson, Chris Moon, Jamie Golden and Euan Cuthill. Graeme Campbell got a further strike for the Glasgow side following a well-worked penalty corner routine, but the Dundonians finished worthy winners.

Uddingston moved into the top four above Hillhead on goal difference after seeing off Clydesdale 4-0 at Titwood.  Chris Boyle, Steven Percy, Brad Hughes and Jonjo Lavin were on target for the Lanarkshire side, there was no reply from the home side.

Photo by Mark Pugh

At the bottom of the division Watsonians were 2-1 winners over Kelburne.

Edinburgh University strengthened their case to retain their crown with a 9-0 defeat of bottom side Grange at Fettes. Former Scotland striker Amy Brodie notched a hat-trick, there were two goals each for Sophie Maunder and Zara Malseed with Robin Robeson and Margery Justice adding to the tally.

Clydesdale Western were on the wrong end of a shock when they were held to a 1-1 draw by ninth-placed Glasgow University, a result that put the students up a place in the table. It looked an even bigger shock when Imogen Bryce gave Glasgow a 1-0 half-time lead. Ali Eadie did finally level at a penalty corner, but the favourites were unable to take the three points.

Dundee Wanderers slipped into second spot following a narrow 2-1 victory over Western Wildcats on Tayside. Western Wildcats opened the livelier side but Wanderers dragged themselves back into the contest and went ahead through a cracking deflection from Sophia Free for a narrow half-time lead.

Western Wildcats levelled in the second half, a low drive by Kaz Cuthbert was blocked by the keeper and Alex Stuart buried the rebound. Wanderers took the honours within the final ten minutes with what looked like a speculative shot by Heather Elder but it looped into the far corner of the net for the winner.

Watsonians moved closer to a top four spot with a comfortable 4-0 win over GHK.  The Edinburgh side were dominant in the first half and moved into a three goal lead, a Morven Cawthorn deflection was followed by two close range finishes by Nikki Stobie. GHK came more into the fray in the second half but failed to find the net, while Ellie Mackenzie finished off a well-constructed move at the back post to add a fourth.

Grove held on to sixth spot after seeing off Hillhead 5-0 in Glasgow. Lucy Smith provided a double and the other goals came from Lucy Murray, Katherine Hill and Joanne Boyle near the end.

Find a club near you HERE


Back to top