Inter District Boys Day 1 Report

Boys’ Inter-District 2017, Photo by Mark Pugh

The Notts Sport Boys’ Inter District event took place at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre over the Fair Weekend. On Saturday the U16s matches started with a clash between Midland and East. East came out of the gates early and scored within the first 5 minutes with an open play goal by Captain Charlie Jack. Steadily East increased the score line throughout the game, captain Jack scoring a hat trick. The final whistle ended the game with East taking the three points and adding 8 goals to their tally.

The second match in the U16s saw North take on Highland. The highland team played with high pace with some fantastic build up play to gain entry into the D for their first goal scored by Karim Moukaouame. Highland then increased their lead to two 14 minutes in, within two minutes of this a shove inside the D saw a Penalty corner awarded to the team in orange, Captain Iain McFadden stepped up with a drag flick to the top corner to extend their lead. Highland ran out winners by 5 goals to nil.

The East v West clash was the third u16 match, a very tight match with West leading from a Gavin Mackenzie goal in the 32nd minute. Some poor discipline from West gave East a chance at goal from a penalty corner Jake Inglis stepped up and converted making it 1 goal each. Shortly after this, another corner was conceded and East’s Charlie Jack took advantage of West being down a defensive player in the corner line up and slotted the ball into the bottom corner. West was not defeated however as a break led them to East’s D and a canny shot into the top corner beat East’s goalie to claim a point, 2 goals each.

In the final game of the day at u16s. West challenged Highland to a fast paced match. The game saw Euan Menzies scoring 4 goals, Ben Mitchell and Cameron Moran grab a brace each and a single for Ben Carroll had the final score 9-0.

Boys’ Inter District 2017, photo by Mark Pugh

In the U18 Competition West and East faced off in the first match of the day. A feisty match to start the competition saw East take the lead with a well-worked penalty corner routine finally tapped into the net by Ralph Weissen. East extended the lead to 2 goals before West managed a response through Andrew McConnell. In the Second half East started strong and two goals came in quick succession from Jonathan Hawley and Livio Belotti taking the lead to 4 goals to one. West’s response came 13 minutes later through Ben Wilson, however East closed out the game with a 5th when Livio Belotti took a brace.

North and Midland started their campaign in the second set of matches. Midland captain went setting the tone with an early goal inside 2 minutes from open play. North gained possession and pushed forward earning a penalty corner in the 7th minute. James Morrison converted from the corner making it 1 goal apiece. Losing a goal spurred Midland on, Arthur Morris scored in open play and Jamie Golden from a penalty corner gave midland a two goal cushion going in to half time. In the Second half North pulled a goal back through Christopher Moon, but Midland managed to hold out for the three points.

In the third round of matches West played their second game of the day, taking on Highland, with West proving to be the stronger of the two teams. A brace from Fraser Cowle and Struan Walker along with goals from Andrew McConnell, and Graham Haxton saw the match finish 6-0 to West.

The game between East and Midland was a hard-fought battle on the pitch. East advanced first with Livio Belotti opening with a penalty corner conversion the only goal of the first half. Midland accelerated out of the blocks in the second, scoring 2 open play goals to take the lead. East fought back with two of their own giving Livio his brace. However there were more goals in the game. Midland brought the game to three apiece through John Stephen, and East stole the show with a last minute goal from Jonathan Hawley to take the points.

The final game of the u18s on day one was a competitive affair. North took the lead with two minutes on the clock by way of Max Lynch. Highland responded with in three minutes to equalise. North stepped up and converted two more goals to claim the points.


Back to top