Inverleith pipped at the post in Oslo
INVERLEITH 3-3 THREE ROCK ROVERS (IRELAND)
Inverleith needed to win against Irish side Three Rock Rovers to secure promotion at the indoor European Club Challenge 1 tournament in Oslo, but their brave cause foundered on a last gasp equaliser by Ross Canning for a 3-3 draw. The share of the spoils kept the Irish side in second spot in the promotion pool, leaving a crestfallen Inverleith three points adrift and the consolation of a bronze medal.
It was the Scots who took the early initiative with an open play strike by Patrick Christie. Although Jody Hosking levelled at a penalty corner, within a minute Stephen Dick had restored Inverleith`s advantage.
Back came Three Rock again with a strike from David Kane, but just on the interval Aedan McCrossan gave Inverleith a crucial 3-2 lead.
The second half remained goalless with Inverleith on the verge of a famous victory, but events then took a cruel turn when Canning scored a belated equaliser at a penalty corner. The Irish were reduced in numbers when Harry Morris was sent to the sin bin, but there was still no way back for Inverleith.
- Battling Scotland men defeated by the Netherlands in Antwerp
- 2019 Futures Cup Squad Announcement
- Scotland denied win over Ireland by late penalty stroke
- Win for Germany on Scotland men’s return to EuroHockey Championships
- Campbell Thomson announced as Scotland men’s back of shirt sponsor
- Grand Masters to play on Tokyo Olympic pitches at 2020 Masters World Cup
- Scotland men’s squad announced for Belfius EuroHockey Championship in Antwerp
- Scotland win gold at Women’s EuroHockey Championship II in Glasgow
- Scotland women win Euros semi-final against Poland in Glasgow and gain promotion
- Scotland women top Pool at Euros in Glasgow – crucial semi-final awaits on Friday