Inverleith’s unbeaten run ended by the Wildcats

Inverleith’s unbeaten run in the Subway National League
came to an end at Peffermill today when they went down 3-2 to
Western Wildcats.

The Wildcats opened the scoring in the first half through an
open play goal from Douglas Simpson before Inverleith levelled
early in the second half  through a field goal from Andrew
Johnston. Wildcats then went into a 3-1 lead with a short corner
strike from Scott McCartney and a second from Simpson following
some sloppy home defending.

Inverleith refused to give up and with minutes remaining reduced
the leeway through an open play goal from Rob Hall and continued to
press hard to no avail. Inverleith coach  Stevie McCurry was
naturally disappointed at the end commenting “We were not as
disciplined as we have been this season and it was not our best

Champions Glynhill Kelburne were made to work hard by a stuffy
Edinburgh University side but maintained their undefeated sequence
winning 5-1 at Bellahouston further tightening  their grip at
the top of the division. Kelburne were three up by half time with
goals from Alan Forsyth, a penalty stroke from Mark Ralph and
Michael Bremner.

The second half saw the champions squander many opportunities
but a Ralph set piece and a second from Bremner sandwiched the
solitary response from the students. Manager Harry Coles whilst
lamenting  the many missed chances commented “Edinburgh
University showed enough today to suggest they will cause a few
upsets this season.

Grange returned to winning ways and reclaim second spot with a
comfortable 6-2 home victory over capital rivals CALA Edinburgh.
The home side were 3-1 up at half time through two penalty strokes
by captain Rob Barr and a reverse strike by Duncan Riddle. After
the interval a double from Cameron Fraser and single from Matt
Conner sealed the win.

Greaves Clydesdale ran out 7-3 winners against VWS Dundee
Wanderers in the important clash at Titwood. A first minute goal
from Ciaran Crawford should have set Clydesdale on their way.
However Wanderers did have chances to level before a Crawford
penalty stroke midway through the half settled the home side who
went on to dominate the half adding further goals from John Roy and
a neat deflection from a well rehearsed set piece by Steven

Weather conditions were atrocious in the second half but further
goals came courtesy of Gordon Munro, Fraser Hirst and Ben
Pettersen. However coach Gordon Shepherd was not happy with the
concession of three late goals and said “We should not be conceding
goals in this manner during a second half which we dominated”

AMN Hillhead slipped further into relegation waters with a 2-1
home defeat at the hands of Grove Menzieshill. Gavin Tomlinson gave
the Taysiders the interval advantage and Alex Blaikie doubled the
lead before Andy McLean put the home side on the score sheet.

There were no games scheduled for the Women’s league this weekend.
However  Scotland U21 Women opened  the three match
training weekend against England with a narrow 4-2 defeat in the
first match at Lillieshall.

Coach Dave Stott’s preparations are now underway for the
EuroHockey Junior Nations Championship which take place in Anapa,
Russia next summer and he expressed satisfaction with the
performance despite the result.

Injury  ruled out Heather Elder (Dundee Wanderers) and
Robyn Collins (Loughborough) reducing  Stott’s options. 
The game started in the worst possible fashion  when England
scored in the opening minutes. However Scotland responded in
positive fashion when Ali Howie (Western) equalised from a penalty
corner and fellow club mate Fiona Bruce gave Stott’s team the lead
before England managed to level matters before the break.

Despite creating many chances after the interval the young Scots
could not find an end result and paid the ultimate  penalty
when England restored their lead through a set piece and then
keeper Nicki Cochrane (Grove) was given no chance with a well
finished fourth.

Back to top