Morton and Forsyth feature in tough matches against Belgium

GB faced Belgium in two very close games, the first resulting in a 1-1 draw and the other in a 3-2 loss. Although the result was mixed, it was a successful game for the Scots featuring highly; Lee Morton made his senior Great Britain International debut and Alan Forsyth scoring a cracking strike straight into goal.

Great Britain started their five-match European Tour with a 1-1 draw against world number three ranked side Belgium.

Liam Ansell put GB into the lead in the first quarter before Gus Meurmans levelled for the hosts. Both sides had good chances to win the match but were well matched. The game also saw young striker Will Calnan make his senior international debut.

It was an entertaining opening quarter with both sides attacking from the off. Belgium went close early on as they hit the post but it was Great Britain who took the lead.

A bobbling ball found its way into the circle where Ansell pounced to collect and convert to score his second goal for GB.

The first penalty corner of the game was won by GB but it was well chased down by Vic Wegnez. Belgium responded though and levelled on 24 minutes as Gus Meurmans slammed home a powerful shot.

GB ended the half strongly winning two penalty corners but some solid defending and a smart save from Loic Van Doren kept the score level.

After the break the contest settled down with fewer chances created but Belgium ended the quarter strongly with a flurry of penalty corners. George Pinner made a fine glove save though and the teams entered the final fifteen minutes with nothing between them.

The penalty corners kept coming in the final quarter for the hosts but a determined defensive effort from GB continued to frustrate Belgium. GB though maintained a threat of their own and Van Doren again had to be at his best in the Belgian goal making two fantastic stops to prevent GB grabbing a winner.

The second game of their European tour saw Great Britain men narrowly lost to third in the world Belgium after drawing 1-1 earlier in the week.

The home side applied pressure early on and were rewarded with a penalty corner eight minutes in but the home side were unable to convert. It was a Loick Luypaert drag flick that broke deadlock giving the Red Lions the lead which was sharply followed by a second from Florent can Aubel to double their lead. Great Britain’s Harry Gibson was being tested in goal but stayed strong denying Belgium’s attacking line.

Great Britain opened the second quarter with a wonder goal from Alan Forsyth, showcasing his skills in the circle. The second quarter shaped up to be a thriller with both sides eager for goals. In the dying minutes before the half time whistle the red lions had four penalty corners with the fourth being put away by Luyparet to give his side a 3-1 lead.

Into the second half the Red Lions pressed on but a stop on the line from the Great Britain defence denied them to further their lead. In the end of the third quarter Belgium was on the offensive but GB men worked hard to prevent any further goals. In the 48th minute Tom Boon was one on one with Gibson who did well to deny the Belgium in front of goal. In the 55th minute a Luke Taylor drag flick got Great Britain’s second of the game. Both sides pressed on but it wasn’t enough as the full-time whistle was blown it finished 3-2 to Belgium.

Great Britain’s next match will be tonight, Wednesday 20th June against Germany at 8:30pm.

To find out more about clubs, click HERE

Back to top