Nominations open for 2012 Olympic Torchbearers
On 18 May LOCOG announced details of locations which
have been selected as overnight event destinations as part of the
Scottish leg of the Olympic Torch Relay in 2012 and the
selection process for torchbearer nominations.
LOCOG is now searching for nominations from the public to
recruit 8,000 torchbearers who will carry the Olympic Flame across
the length and breadth of the UK during 2012.
Torchbearers will be the best of the best, truly incredible
individuals, whose personal stories will inspire millions of
people: from their local community to those watching right around
the world; ordinary people doing extraordinary things, from any
walk of life, anywhere in the UK.
The LOCOG Torchbearer programme to find 2,012 inspirational
people who have gone beyond their personal best will run until
Wednesday 29 June 2011.
The LOCOG nomination
portal asks nominators for up to 150 words on why their nominee
should carry the Olympic Flame. The deadline for nominating through
the LOCOG campaign is 11.59pm on Wednesday 29 June 2011. Judging
panels will be set up in each Nation and Region of the UK to select
the Torchbearers for their area.
The Olympic Flame will arrive in the UK from Greece on Friday 18
May 2012 and the 70 day Torch Relay will start at Land’s End,
Cornwall on the morning of the 19 May 2012. On leaving Land’s End,
the Olympic Flame is expected to travel an estimated 8,000 miles
across the UK, giving thousands of communities and individuals
their moment to shine as the Olympic Flame comes to their doorstep.
The Olympic Flame will arrive at the Olympic Stadium on 27 July
2012 for the lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony,
signifying the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
To find out more please visit the London 2012
- Masters Men Over 60/65/70 Celtic Cup Training and Selection
- Walking Hockey opportunity at Inverleith
- Scottish Hockey statement following the announcement of the GB Hockey squads for the Olympic Games
- Scotland’s Sarah Robertson selected for Tokyo Olympic Games
- Tokyo Olympics
- Scotland lose close match to England at EuroHockey Championships
- Scottish Hockey Academy U17s reports against Ulster in Glasgow
- Scottish Hockey Academy U17s to play Ulster
- U14 eight-a-sides on show this weekend
- Scotland beat Italy at the EuroHockey Championships