Scotland men beat Gibraltar to top Hockey Open Series in Lousada
Scotland men went top of the Hockey Open Series in Lousada with a 2-0 win over Gibraltar. Goals from Cammy Golden and Rob Harwood ensured the Scots are the only team to maintain a 100% record in the tournament so far, with two games to go.
It was another swift start to the match for Scotland and they took the lead inside three minutes. Cammy Golden found the net with a looping deflection over the goalkeeper, after connecting to a fizzing pass into the D from the right, to make it 1-0.
Scotland dominated the second quarter and came close on a number of occasions to furthering their advantage. Willie Marshall had two penalty corners blocked by charging defenders while Golden was denied by a near post save to keep the score 1-0 at half time.
Early in the second half and Marshall was again denied a penalty corner goal, this time his drag flick was deflected into the air by the leg guard of the diving goalkeeper.
Scotland’s second goal of the match would come soon enough. Rob Harwood made it 2-0 for Scotland when he finished off a lovely team goal. Scotland carved Gibraltar open on the right and the final pass zipped across goal, first Robbie Shepherdson dived in but couldn’t connected, however, Harwood was right behind him and he connected at the far post for 2-0.
Scotland set about adding a third goal at the start of the fourth quarter. A swift counter attack sent Golden tearing into the D and he let fly across the goalkeeper but just wide of the left post.
The Blue Sticks won a couple of penalty corners later in the quarter as they continued to turn the screw on Gibraltar.
First a Tim Atkins drag flick was well saved by the keeper before Kyle White had his penalty corner blocked into the air and clear.
In the end it was a comfortable victory for Scotland over Gibraltar as the Scots maintain their 100% record in Lousada with two games to play.
September 4 2018 | 14:30 | Scotland 7-2 Turkey
September 5 2018 | 16:30 | Scotland 2-0 Portugal
September 6 2018 | 14:30 | Gibraltar 0-2 Scotland
September 8 2018 | 14:30 | Scotland v Russia
September 9 2018 | 12:30 | Belarus v Scotland
Find out more about the Scotland men’s squad HERE.
- Final day defeat for Clydesdale Western in Vienna
- Return to outdoor National League 1 brings some big results
- Day 2 in Vienna ends in Euro defeat for Clydesdale Western
- Pro League defeats for GB men and women against Australia in Perth
- Tough opening day for Clydesdale Western in Vienna
- The outdoor National League 1 season gets back underway; Clydesdale Western in Europe
- Scotland Senior Women announce new support staff for 2019
- Inverleith pipped at the post in Oslo
- U18 Indoor Inter Districts - West and Midland take titles
- Another day of drama for Inverleith in Oslo