Scotland o60s men narrowly beaten by the Netherlands
In a superb game of end-to-end hockey Scotland 60s men narrowly lost out to World Champions the Netherlands 2-1. It was a fantastic team effort by the Scots against one of the top ranked sides.
The Netherlands scored early when a dangerous cross was deflected in by a Scottish defender.
The rest of the half was dominated by Scotland with no reward to show for it. The game was very competitive with the Scots working hard for an equaliser.
The Scots dug in and managed to get into the Dutch circle and win a couple of corners without managing to take advantage.
At half time it was still 1-0 to the Dutch but with all to play for in the contest. Scotland were playing good possession hockey by now and denying the Dutch their clinical passes.
With 13 minutes to go the Netherlands scored a second from a rare attack. There was an excellent save by Murray Graham and it looked as though the danger was cleared only for the Dutch to rifle another shot into the back of the net.
This served to motivate Scotland who pulled one back with 11 minutes left when a flowing move led to a great strike by Ali Hay.
Scotland threw everything at the Dutch in the final five minutes but the Netherlands managed to cling on to their narrow lead despite Scotland creating a number of chance. Next up for Scotland is Spain on Saturday.
Women’s EuroHockey Championship II
Scotland women will compete in Glasgow this summer in a major international tournament.
Women’s EuroHockey Championship II will be held at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre on 4-10 August and is a great chance to cheer on Scotland on home soil against some top European competition.
Find out more, and buy tickets, HERE
- Scotland U21 Women beat Italy to win Gold in Alanya
- Gold for phenomenal Scotland U21 men with 9-0 Euros final win over Russia
- Defeat in Barcelona for Scotland men
- Scotland U21 Women earn promotion and place in Euros final
- Scotland U21 men beat Ireland to clinch final spot and gain promotion
- Scotland U21 Men qualify from Euros Pool despite defeat to Italy
- Scotland U21 Women beat Austria to qualify for next stage in Alanya
- Scotland women beat Ireland in Stormont as Euros in Glasgow approach
- Scotland U21 men strike five to beat Russia in U21 Euros match two
- Excellent win for Scotland U21 women against Czech Republic