Scotland U21 men’s and women’s teams lose to Durham University

Scotland’s U21 men’s squad lost 2-1 to Durham University while Scotland’s U21 women’s squad were beaten 4-0 in challenge matches at Peffermill.

It was the second of two games for each squad against the English Premiership opposition, and provided excellent learning opportunities as the Scotland U21 squads got their European and world cup campaigns underway. Both sides were playing together for the first time this weekend, without much pitch time, and showed some encouraging signs.

Scotland U21 men put in a much improved performance following yesterday’s 5-1 loss to Durham University, but fell short with a 2-1 defeat.

Scotland controlled the game for large parts and played some neat hockey, showing good signs for a team at the start of their programme.

It was in the second quarter that the visitors took the lead. The quarter had only just got underway when Durham University was awarded a penalty corner, and a lovely drag flick made it 1-0.

Two minutes into the second half and Scotland found themselves 2-0 down when a penalty stroke was awarded to Durham. A cool finish from the spot made it 2-0.

Scotland fought back and five minutes after going two goals down, Scotland pulled one back. Fraser Heigh struck a low drag flick to pull the score back to 2-1.

Then Scotland went hunting for an equaliser, and although decent chances fell to Heigh and Jacob Tweedie, a second Scotland goal remained elusive and Durham held out for the win.

A late winner was the difference in yesterday’s encounter between Scotland U21 women and Durham University, and it was the visitors who came out on top on day two with a 4-0 win.

There was an early goal for Durham to see them start strongly and take advantage, but Scotland also started well.

Despite the score line it was an impressive performance by Scotland with exceptional work-rate all over the pitch. Scotland pressed the game really well and closed down players far better than the previous day.

The second quarter saw chances for either side but it was Durham who converted one of them to go 2-0 up.

Scotland came agonisingly close to pulling one back when Lucy Williamson’s shot zipped past the post, narrowly evading a Scottish stick arriving at the post to try and touch it home.

Durham were clinical and a goal in either quarter of the second half completed the scoring with the Scots tiring towards the end.

Back to top