Scottish Cup quarter final action serves up big results

Watsonians are the head turners of the women`s quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup by seeing off Western Wildcats on penalties, Edinburgh University dumped rivals Clydesdale Western out of the competition, while in the men`s competition Grange, Western Wildcats, Grove Menzieshill and Edinburgh University all proceeded to the semi-final draw.

Edinburgh University completed the weekend double over their rivals Clydesdale Western with a 2-0 win at Peffermill to advance into the semi-final draw. Ella Watt and Zara Malseed were on target for the students.

Watsonians created the result of the round by seeing off second-placed Western Wildcats in a penalty shoot-out. Normal time finished goalless… and on to the penalty shoot-out. Heather Tait, Lucy Lanigan and Emily Newlands found the net for Watsonians while their keeper Lucy Camlin frustrated all the Wildcats advances, the result is that Watsonians move on to the semi-final draw.

Dundee Wanderers were always in command against lower division Uddingston and came away with a comfortable 6-1 victory, but the Lanarkshire side kept going up to the end. There were two goals each for Vikki Bunce and Jess Martin while Iona Fleming and Michaela Worthington got the others.

There will be a lower league side in the semi-final draw as Erskine Stewart Melville overcame Stirling Wanderers in an exceptional 7-1 victory.

Grove Menzieshill emerged victorious in the all-National League 1 clash against Clydesdale at Titwood, they came away with a 3-1 winning score. The Taysiders took the lead in only five minutes through a penalty corner conversion by Albert Rowling that flew into the roof of the net. The visitors were two up by the interval at another set piece, this time Cyril Varghese found the net with a rebound.

3 March 2019 at Titwood, Glasgow. Scottish Cup quarter final match – Clydesdale v Grove Menzieshill – photo by Duncan Gray

Clydesdale clawed their way back into the contest with a well-taken strike by Euan Lindsay, then pushed for an equaliser with several penalty corner opportunities. But with only a couple of minutes remaining it was the Dundonians who sealed the tie with a rebound goal from Olly James.

National League 1 leaders Grange were 11-1 winners at Perthshire. There were a couple of interesting landmarks, Dan Coultas scored a hat-trick of penalty conversions while 15-year-old Jamie Croll scored the final goal on his Grange debut. In between, Jacob Tweedie and Frank Ryan both scored twice while the others came from individuals.

Edinburgh University also made it into the last four with a 3-1 win at Gordonians in another all-first division clash with Matt Taylor, Pete McKnight and Leo Meinhold scoring for the students.

Although Dundee Wanderers just won the National League 2 title yesterday with a perfect record, the Taysiders fell 3-1 to Western Wildcats at Auchenhowie. The home side were one up at the interval through a penalty corner strike by Hamish Galt.

Andrew McConnell gave Western Wildcats a two goal advantage from open play, but the visitors pulled one back through Bobby Ralph. But a penalty corner strike by Adam McKenzie into the top corner of the net was enough to propel Western Wildcats into the semi-final draw.

Find a club near you HERE



Back to top