Scottish Hockey’s Megan Cunningham selected for World Cup full time training
Scottish Hockey would like to wish Megan Cunningham, Scottish Hockey Office Administrator, good luck as she takes a six-month sabbatical to train full time with Scotland’s women’s football team as part of preparations for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France this summer – Scotland’s first ever appearance at the tournament.
The Indoor Gala Day 2019 this weekend will be Megan’s last day before setting off for full time training.
Megan, goalkeeper for Celtic and Scotland, joined Scottish Hockey in 2017 and has been a valuable, committed and enthusiastic member of the Scottish Hockey team.
Everyone at Scottish Hockey is delighted that Megan has been selected in Scotland’s squad for full time training for a second time, following selection ahead of the UEFA Euro 2017 finals.
We wish Megan well for the experience, her bid for selection for the tournament, and we’re all looking forward to supporting the Scotland squad again in the summer.
Scottish Hockey CEO David Sweetman said, “We have seen first-hand the hard work Megan has put in to return to fitness following an injury set back, and are delighted that this has been recognised in a call up to the Scotland full time squad.
“It is every sports person’s dream to compete at a World Cup and we wish Megan and the rest of the squad all the best as they prepare for the competition.”
Megan said, “I’m really surprised, and of course honoured, to be one of home-based players selected for the World Cup full-time training programme. This makes such a huge difference with the intense training load, and really helps create a professional lifestyle to allow us the best chance of selection and prep for the World Cup in the summer.
“I want to thank Scottish hockey and all the staff for their understanding and support once again, and I’m not sure if they will miss my rubbish jokes and terrible singing, but I will really miss all the Scottish Hockey staff. I’m excited to get stuck into training and the challenge ahead.”
Find out more about Scottish Hockey’s staff HERE
- Final day defeat for Clydesdale Western in Vienna
- Return to outdoor National League 1 brings some big results
- Day 2 in Vienna ends in Euro defeat for Clydesdale Western
- Pro League defeats for GB men and women against Australia in Perth
- Tough opening day for Clydesdale Western in Vienna
- The outdoor National League 1 season gets back underway; Clydesdale Western in Europe
- Scotland Senior Women announce new support staff for 2019
- Inverleith pipped at the post in Oslo
- U18 Indoor Inter Districts - West and Midland take titles
- Another day of drama for Inverleith in Oslo