Thunder and Lightning sweep academy series
Scottish Hockey’s talent pathway athletes made a welcome return to competitive action last weekend. The under 18 Academy Series was arranged at short notice as the Scottish Government Covid-19 restrictions were relaxed in mid-April, thus allowing under 18’s to train and compete again, with the matches taking place before the start of the school exam period.
The weekend’s activity gave the players two welcome competitive opportunities – and our national coaches an opportunity to see where the players are at, following the long lay off due to the pandemic. Despite the long lay-off the matches were highly competitive with performances only slightly affected by the long time away from activity.
The girl’s competition saw the unbeaten Glasgow Thunder emerge victorious in a tight “winner takes all” contest in the final match against the Dundee Devils at the picturesque Kilgraston School. An Ava Smith penalty stroke was all that separated the two sides.
In the boys’ competition, Edinburgh Lightning also came through undefeated. A tight encounter and late winner gave them a 2-1 victory over Glasgow Thunder under the Friday night lights of Clydesdale. This was followed by a clinical performance against Dundee Devils the next day at Peffermill, with four goals for Charlie Jack sealing a comfortable win for the bolts.
A big thank you goes out to the venues, parents, coaches, players and umpires who all committed to getting the activity happening at short notice. Hopefully this will be the start of a long summer of opportunity and activity for all our aspiring young athletes.
- Masters Men Over 60/65/70 Celtic Cup Training and Selection
- Walking Hockey opportunity at Inverleith
- Scottish Hockey statement following the announcement of the GB Hockey squads for the Olympic Games
- Scotland’s Sarah Robertson selected for Tokyo Olympic Games
- Tokyo Olympics
- Scotland lose close match to England at EuroHockey Championships
- Scottish Hockey Academy U17s reports against Ulster in Glasgow
- Scottish Hockey Academy U17s to play Ulster
- U14 eight-a-sides on show this weekend
- Scotland beat Italy at the EuroHockey Championships