Western face battle to avoid relegation in Europe
A very young and relatively inexperienced Milne Craig
Clydesdale Western squad slipped to 3-2 defeat in the crucial final
group game against Austrian side HC Wels in Club Champions
Challenge leaving them in a relegation dog fight with the French
side CA Montrouge tomorrow.
Despite starting quite well and winning a series of short
corners, Western were unable to make the most of these chances and
paid the penalty when a defensive error led to the Austrians taking
a lead into the interval.
Wels then increased the advantage early in the second period
when possession was once again surrendered all too easily.
Western however did respond and captain Sam Judge reduced the
arrears courtesy of a set piece goal but minutes later Wels were
awarded a penalty stroke to restore the two goal lead.
Nicki Scrastin managed a further goal but it was
only to prove to be a consolation in a game where Western’s
inability to take opportunities created came back to haunt them
Tomorrow will be sure to be a very tense affair with a win a
necessity to ensure survival
- Draw & defeat for GB in thrilling Dutch double header
- Super showing from GB's women who defeat India 4-1
- Clinical Germany inflict GB Men's first defeat of Tokyo 2020
- GB victories in second round of Olympic matches in Tokyo
- Victory for Scotland against Ireland at U19 GB&I 4-Nations
- Narrow defeat for GB's Women in Tokyo 2020 opener
- Scotland and Ireland battle out a goal-fest in game three of test series
- Scotland men defeated by Ireland in game two of the test series at Titwood
- Draws for Scotland against Ireland at U19 GB&I 4-Nations
- GB Men win opening match of Olympics