Western frustrated by hosts HF Lorenzoni in Europe
Milne Craig Clydesdale Western are showing an improving
level of performance with the benefit of having game time
under their belt after the second day of the European Challenge in
Italy. However they still had to somewhat frustratingly settle for
a 3-3 draw today against the host club HF Lorenzoni.
The game started in the worst possible fashion
for Western with the concession of a set piece goal in the opening
minutes. However they quickly recovered composure from this set
back, and within five minutes a Holly Cram reverse shot found the
target to level matters.
However, failure to prevent another Italian set piece effort
from finding the net left the Glasgow side trailing at half time
despite all the hard work fighting their way back into
Immediately after the interval Cram was on hand again to
equalise, finishing off a move from open play which was just the
boost needed. Western now beginning to play with more confidence
went ahead midway through the second period when Ali Howie was on
hand to pounce, bundling the ball home after the first short
corner, awarded to the Titwood side, had broken down.
However, nerves began to show in this young side and despite
Lorenzoni missing from a harshly awarded penalty stroke, the
Italians produced a late goal from open play to grab a share of the
points and leave Western stunned.
“We are still not firing on all cylinders but slowly but surely
we are beginning to play some good hockey. The girls are working
very hard and their commitment cannot be faulted” said
manager Elaine Macara.
Western can still claim second place in the group if they can
beat Austria’s HC Wels tomorrow and current leaders Gintra Strekte
Universitas win against the Italians.
- Draw & defeat for GB in thrilling Dutch double header
- Super showing from GB's women who defeat India 4-1
- Clinical Germany inflict GB Men's first defeat of Tokyo 2020
- GB victories in second round of Olympic matches in Tokyo
- Victory for Scotland against Ireland at U19 GB&I 4-Nations
- Narrow defeat for GB's Women in Tokyo 2020 opener
- Scotland and Ireland battle out a goal-fest in game three of test series
- Scotland men defeated by Ireland in game two of the test series at Titwood
- Draws for Scotland against Ireland at U19 GB&I 4-Nations
- GB Men win opening match of Olympics