Western Wildcats women beat the weather and take the points
Snow and flooding caused the postponement of almost all Saturday`s National League 1 fixtures, but pride of place must go to Western Wildcats` women who not only beat the weather at Auchenhowie but also opponents GHK.
Western Wildcats’ 5-0 victory propelled them into second place in the table, still two points behind leaders Edinburgh University but now above both Dundee Wanderers and Clydesdale Western.
They showed little sympathy for the visitors on a chilly Auchenhowie, Alex Stuart opened with a reverse stick shot, then Erin Stevens finished off a brilliant team build-up for the second before the interval.
Western Wildcats dominated the second half and the score might have been greater but for multiple saves from GHK keeper Ali Westwood. However, the goals continued, Megan Cox made it 3-0 followed by a penalty corner conversion by Kate Holmes. The fifth came from player/coach Kaz Cuthbert after she was left unmarked in the circle.
Cuthbert then added: “Wildcats set the tone for how we expect to see out the rest of the season.”
The result leaves GHK second bottom in the table and in the relegation play-offs.
There was no change to the rest of the women`s table and also not to the men`s as all their games fell foul of the weather.
The result is that Grange still lead the division by six points from Western Wildcats with Grove Menzieshill a further point adrift, and there are still only three games left in the schedule.
Get involved in hockey! Find a club near you HERE
- Euro defeats for Clydesdale Western and Edinburgh Uni on final day of competition
- Mixed fortunes for Scots clubs in Europe
- Series wins for Scotland U16s and U18s boys’ and girls’ in Cardiff, while U21 women lose in Glasgow
- Excellent Scotland v Wales age group hockey on Day two
- Mixed fortunes for Clydesdale Western and Edinburgh University in Europe
- Five games and goals aplenty for Scotland age groups against Wales
- Edinburgh University and Clydesdale Western held to draws in Europe
- Baptism of fire for Grove Menzieshill in first EHL appearance
- Scotland u21 women to play Wales this weekend – squad announced
- Scotland Men’s O35s Masters squad announced