Scotland U21 Women share points with Wales in U21 Euros opening match
Scotland U21 Women got their U21 EuroHockey Championship II campaign underway was a goalless draw against Wales in Alanya, Turkey.
It was a close contest from the first whistle with both sides taking to the game with the drive to win. Both teams had spells of possession but with no clear opportunities.
Wales probably edged the chances in the first half, most of them coming from smashing the ball into the Scots’ D and looking to connect with a loose ball.
There was an excellent chance for Wales through a lovely break on the right side, but Jess Buchanan, who had a solid game in goal, was out quick to smother the danger.
In the final quarter Scotland were on the offensive and could have nicked the contest. An excellent diving stick save from the Welsh keeper denied Scotland a winner and meant the teams shared the points on opening day.
Scotland U21 Women’s Head Coach Neil Menzies said, “It was a tight game, Wales are a decent side. We could have stolen it in the final quarter but a draw was a fair result.
“It’s going to be a tough set of games in this tournament. We play Czech Republic next and they look a decent side. We’re very capable of beating them but it will be a tough game.”
Women’s EuroHockey Championship II
Scotland women will compete in Glasgow this summer in a major international tournament.
Women’s EuroHockey Championship II will be held at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre on 4-10 August and is a great chance to cheer on Scotland on home soil against some top European competition.
Find out more, and buy tickets, HERE
- Win for Germany on Scotland men’s return to EuroHockey Championships
- Campbell Thomson announced as Scotland men’s back of shirt sponsor
- Grand Masters to play on Tokyo Olympic pitches at 2020 Masters World Cup
- Scotland men’s squad announced for Belfius EuroHockey Championship in Antwerp
- Scotland win gold at Women’s EuroHockey Championship II in Glasgow
- Scotland women win Euros semi-final against Poland in Glasgow and gain promotion
- Scotland women top Pool at Euros in Glasgow – crucial semi-final awaits on Friday
- Scotland qualify for Euros semi-final after win over Czech Republic
- Poland and Italy play out a nil-nil draw at Glasgow National Hockey Centre on Day Two of the 2019 Women’s EuroHockey Championship II.
- Wales put five past Turkey in a 5-1 win at Glasgow National Hockey Centre on Day Two of the 2019 Women's EuroHockey Championship II